February 2, 2012

Hooray!


Today is my mother's birthday. It is hard to believe that years before I was born my grandmother brought her own little bundle of joy into this world. And that that little girl grew up to be my mother. My love for making and crafting comes from my mother, an amazing self-taught seamstress and quite handy with a hammer, too. I grew up wearing the beautiful dresses she created for me. It seemed quite ordinary then, but growing up I realized how lucky I was... and still am!

Today, my mother is getting a (sshhhh!) surprise party. In the spirit of things, I made some tissue paper pom poms to hang above the surprise birthday table. I puffed one out the see how it looks, but the rest are still in their folded form for easier transportation. I can't wait to see how they will look hanging from the ceiling!

Most people cite Martha Stewart for the pom poms and she was perhaps the first official publisher of the tutorial, but I feel they have been around for much much longer (since the invention of tissue paper?). One way or another, there are many great photos and tutorials around the web and I have gone through a few before I decided on what exactly I wanted.

Also, I am proud of the "recycledness" of these pom poms. I used the paper saved from wedding gifts (our guests were really heavy on pink, for some reason) and twisty ties from the packaging used in the Christmas lights we bought this year. Ha! Being a hoarder does pay off!

There you have it. A whole post about paper pom poms. Now stop reading this and go make some of your own. They're addictive!

1 comment:

  1. how exciting about the party! sounds very exciting.

    thanks for checking out our home's feature yesterday! I'm glad you enjoyed it.

    the sleepy time gal-- nicole

    ReplyDelete